God… the Father to the Fatherless
· James 1:27(ASV) Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
Psalm 68:5 calls God ‘the Father of the fatherless.’ A growing number of children and youth in Canadian society are being raised without a father figure in their life. This lack of a positive male role model has a great effect on the church. A Swiss study published in 2000 showed the powerful effects on the next generation of a father who attends church. When a father attends church regularly, the likelihood of his children attending church is many times greater than if he doesn’t. We have a generation of the ‘fatherless’- what are we doing to reach them?
Our next Saskatoon Evangelical Minister’s Fellowship (SEMF) meeting will bring this issue into the light. I encourage you to be a part of our last meeting before the summer, not just because the topic is important, but also for the relationships that are formed every time we make the choice to step outside the comfort of our own four walls to connect with men & women of God who are making a difference throughout our community.
Here are the specifics for our next meeting….
· THEME: Fatherlessness: An Issue that the Church Must Address
· DATE/TIME: Tues. June 17th, 2014 at 12noon until 1:30pm
· LOCATION: Forest Grove Church at 502 Webster Street
· Please RSVP to email@example.com to let us know you will be there.
Hopefully the weather will be sunny & we’ll be able to enjoy a good barbecue together for lunch. Take a short break that day for a couple of hours from whatever issues surround you in your office and ministry. Fresh perspective can come as you spend some time with other believers from throughout the community.
God bless you… I hope to see you on June 17th.
Brad Mayer (SEMF Chair)